THE WEBCRIMS WEBSITE UNOFFICIAL FAQ PAGE!
Trying to find out what someone was charged with in New York?
Want to know the criminal charges against someone?
Find Out Who Was Arrested in New York!
TO FIND OUT WHAT SOMEONE WAS CHARGED WITH IN NEW YORK AND TO GET CRIMINAL CASE INFORMATION, USE WEBCRIMS!!!
(WEBCRIMS IS A NEW YORK STATE UNIFIED COURT SYSTEM WEBSITE, THIS PAGE IS NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE UNIFIED COURT SYSTEM AND IS INTENDED TO HELP INDIVIDUALS LEARN ABOUT WEBCRIMS)
WHAT IS WEBCRIMS?
WEBCRIMS is an E-COURTS website in New York State that can be used to get information on what people have been charged with in criminal cases. According to the WEBCRIMS site itself, “WebCrims provides information on criminal cases with future appearance dates for selected New York State Courts of criminal jurisdiction.” WEBCRIMS is one of New York State’s ECOURTs/E-COURTS websites. WEBCRIMS is New York’s Criminal ECOURT Site. Basically, you can use the WEBCRIMS website for the following:
- If you want to find someone’s next court date in criminal court.
- If you want to find the charges against someone in criminal court/look up criminal charges.
- If you want to find out someone’s bail/find out if the Court set a bail, use WEBCRIMS. CLICK HERE FOR OUR PAGE ON HOW TO LEARN HOW TO FIND SOMEONE’S BAIL ON WEBCRIMS
- If you want to find out if someone’s criminal case is still going.
- If you want to find out if someone’s criminal case has been dismissed, you can use it. (If the case is not in WEBCRIMS, it probably is not on the criminal court calendar)
- If you want to see the Criminal Court Calendar, use WEBCRIMS to determine the next court date in different Court parts.
- If you want to find out who the Lawyer is on a case/find out who the attorney representing someone in a case is.
- If you want to find out who the District Attorney is on a criminal case/find out who the prosecutor on a case is.
- If you want to get information about a summons in New York City, use WEBCRIMS.
- Find out if someone has an open criminal case in New York/view pending criminal cases.
CLICK HERE TO FIND CRIMINAL CHARGES USING WEBCRIMS (TAKES YOU TO WEBCRIMS WEBSITE)
FIND OUT WHO WAS ARRESTED!
Looking for someone who was arrested in New York? What to know WHO IS IN JAIL? You can use webcrims to find out who is in jail in New York!
When people are arrested in New York (particularly New York City), they are arrested by the Police (most of the time). So when the NYPD arrests someone, you are not going to find them without going to or calling the police station. Sometimes, they drive around in vans for a while until they are finally processed. When the person is processed and put into the system, sometimes you can find out information about them by calling the arraignment clerk. WEBCRIMS is an amazing site, however, they will not be on WEBCRIMS yet. The best way to think of WEBCRIMS is to think of it as the calendar for the New York Criminal Courts. It contains Supreme Court and Criminal Court cases that are scheduled for a court date in the future. WEBCRIMS is a future appearance system. If a case does not have a future appearance scheduled, it will not usually be on WEBCRIMS.
SO CAN I FIND SOMEONE ARRESTED ON WEBCRIMS?!?!?
Once someone has been arrested in New York, they have to be processed before they can see a Judge. Until that person has a court file and that information is entered into the Court system computer, you will not see them on WEBCRIMS. That means that you may not see someone on the WEBCRIMS website until right before or right after that person is arraigned. Before that person sees a Judge at arraignment, you are not going to see any accurate information about who the District Attorney on a case is, or what bail the court has set in a case. Once the arraignment has happened (or right before) you can see someone’s charges on WEBCRIMS. You can also see someone’s next court date on WEBCRIMS. WEBCRIMS will also show if the court set a bail in a criminal case.
HOW CAN YOU SEARCH FOR CASES ON WEBCRIMS?
Remember, WEBCRIMS only has active CRIMINAL cases (and summonses). If someone was arrested and the charges were dropped or if they took a plea at arraignment and the case is OVER, then you may never see the case on WEBCRIMS, even if the person was arrested and charged with a crime. WEBCRIMS is a system which shows active cases in real time. This is important because a great deal of the criminal cases that get filed in New York are dealt with by plea at arraignment.
CLICK HERE TO FIND IF THE COURT SET BAIL USING WEBCRIMS (TAKES YOU TO WEBCRIMS WEBSITE)
IF A CASE IS NOT ON WEBCRIMS, DOES THAT MEAN THE CASE IS CLOSED?
NO! Just because a criminal case is not on WEBCRIMS does not mean it is not a pending or open criminal case. Sometimes cases do not appear because the new court date has not been entered into the system yet. Sometimes a case will not appear on WEBCRIMS because someone missed court and a warrant has been issued. When the Judge issues a warrant, a new court date is not set. This is a good example of a case that is still open and is still pending but does not have a future court date. Such being said, the site is NOT an accurate way to rule out whether someone has an open case. WEBCRIMS shows you if someone has a court date coming up in an open case (most of the time). Another example of cases that are open which might not appear on WEBCRIMS are violations of probation or parole. Sometimes people are on probation and they violate that probation (or parole) and get arrested. In those cases, they can be arrested and remanded and will be held in a jail. The person will not appear in WEBCRIMS in the probation example until the court sets a court date for a hearing. In the parole example, because the hearings are administrative hearings, you may not see the person in WEBCRIMS. Generally, case information is updated quickly on WEBCRIMS (daily), but that is not always the case.
CLICK HERE TO FIND CRIMINAL CHARGES USING WEBCRIMS (TAKES YOU TO WEBCRIMS WEBSITE)
FIGURE IS FROM THE WEBCRIMS SITE AND IS PROVIDED FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES SO THAT INDIVIDUALS CAN SEE WHAT THE OFFICIAL SITE LOOKS LIKE. THIS SITE IS NOT AFFILIATED IN ANY WAY WITH THE WEBCRIMS SITE OR THE UNIFIED COURT SYSTEM.
YOU CAN FIND THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION ON WEBCRIMS:
- You can find the Defendant’s Name
- YOU CAN FIND THE CRIMINAL CASE NUMBER
- You can find a Summons Number
- You can find the next court date
- You can find criminal case information
- You can find the Court a case is in on WEBCRIMS
- You can find the Court Part a criminal case is in
- You can find the Judge that is handling a criminal case
- You can find a Defendant’s Birth Year
- You can find the date a crime/incident took place
- You can often find the arresting officer’s information
- You can find the date of arrest
- You can find the time of arrest
YOU CAN NOT USE WEBCRIMS TO FIND:
- You can not find criminal cases that have been dismissed on WEBCRIMS
- You can not find criminal cases that are closed on WEBCRIMS
- You can not find cases without a future court date on WEBCRIMS (if a person missed court and now has a warrant and no future court date has been set, the case will not appear on webcrims)
- You can not find a case on WEBCRIMS if a Judge has decided to seal the case
- You can not find a case in which an eligible YOUTHFUL OFFENDER has been arrested and prosecuted on WEBCRIMS
- You can not use WEBCRIMS as an arrest inquiry – Cases don’t appear on WEBCRIMS immediately after someone is arrested
I HAVE A DAT, CAN I FIND MY NEXT COURT DATE ON WEBCRIMS?
NO (most of the time)! You can not use WEBCRIMS to find your next Court Date. This is because when you get a DAT, the NYPD is giving you a ticket with the next court date. The Court will not yet have that information and so they have not yet imputed it into the WEBCRIMS system. That being the case, even though you have a DAT, it will not always appear on WEBCRIMS. Just because you can not find your DAT information on WEBCRIMS does not mean you do not have court or that you do not have an open case. Even if you don’t see your DAT on WEBCRIMS, you still have to go to court on the date of your DAT and/or on the date that any letter from the court tells you to appear.
CAN I FIND MY NEXT CRIMINAL COURT DATE ON WEBCRIMS?
YES! If your case is pending you can find your Criminal Court date using WEBCRIMS. As you can see from the picture below, the WEBCRIMS Appearances menu shows criminal case details including the date and part in which the criminal case is pending. It will also show you past court appearance dates in connection with a particular case. The Appearance menu screen will also show you the outcome of the court appearance and what the bail status is. For instance, it will tell you if the case has been adjourned and if bail has been continued. It may also tell you if a Defendant was remanded and taken into custody by a court.
WEBCRIMS: FIND COURT CHARGES IN NEW YORK COURTS:
- Find charges against someone in :
- New York City Criminal Court
- Bronx Criminal Court
- Queens Criminal Court
- Richmond Criminal Court
- KINGS Criminal Court
- Brooklyn Criminal Court
- Manhattan Criminal Court
- Nassau Criminal Court
- Suffolk Criminal Court
- Dutchess County Court
- Erie County Court
- Orange County Court
- Putnam County Court
- Rockland County Court
- Westchester County Court
- Buffalo City Court
CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT WHAT SOMEONE WAS ARRESTED FOR USING WEBCRIMS (TAKES YOU TO WEBCRIMS WEBSITE)
JUST A NOTE:
People mistakenly use the following terms to find the New York State Unified Court System WEBCRIMS site:
- web crims